Monday, January 3, 2011

Where Did My Motivation Go?

Warning!-Some negativity in this post, but it does have some up points too.


Okay, I am a freelance writer by trade and today I just have no desire to write anything. I've managed to do a few small articles, but nothing close to what I would normally have done. We finished school, played on the Wii together and I have dinner ready as we are eating leftovers to clean out the fridge. I even have 3-1/2 bags ready to go to Goodwill so I'm staying on track. It's just work that I can't seem to get moving on.

I keep telling myself that I can whip out most of these projects in 15 to 20 minutes, but it just isn't helping. I know I will end up making myself sit down and do them before we head to Cub Scouts tonight. I think part of the problem is the fact that I have three writing gigs and all have slim pickings right now to choose from. The projects just aren't there so I find myself avoiding the sites altogether. This isn't going to help me get out of debt.

Some good news this morning though. My husband got his W-2 and it looks like we will get a refund from the IRS this year. That is always nice. We can use some for debt and some to make our house more airtight. That will help to cut down on our energy bills, leaving us more each month to pay on debt.

So how do you stay motivated when you just don't feel like working? I think this is often why so many find a work-at-home job is just not for them. I've been writing for 15 months now from home and before that I had a work-at-home phone job so I know I can do this. Even the prospect of making money isn't helping today. Does anyone have some good advice that can get me through this rough spot? I can't remember it ever having been this bad before.

7 comments:

  1. What motivates me more than anything is to see a small paycheck. Once I see how much I slacked, it motivated me to not do that anymore! It's winter though and it just seems harder at this time of the year!

    Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't take caffeine apparently. :) *is still bouncing around*

    Take a nap for an hour, or do something fun. Then get going. :)


    Kind of like jumping into a cold shower. You know you have to, but you hesitate. The hesitating is really the hard part. Just jump in and get it over with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I swear by daily goals. I don't feel like working many days, but after the first time you goof off and get stuck with 2xs the work on a Friday.. well, you stay on track from that point out.

    Maybe try Focus Booster?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've realized that exercising really helps me. If I'm feeling down in the dumps and not motivated, I force myself to work out for ten minutes, which usually turns into 30 mins. By the end, I feel energized and ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this probably isn't what you want to hear- but some days, you just sit...and sit...and...sit. It is for those days that I have found Law and Order marathons to be awesome. Okay- kinda half kidding. I think, for me the thing that worked best was to, instead of a daily goal, to go with a weekly. I keep myself to Mon-Fri working, but if I have a day where my brain just will not jump start, I take that day to do other things. (Usually cleaning..uuugh.) Then, I simply swap a weekend for it. You have to be careful with that though because if something comes up during the week- you might miss a day. But I figure, if the brain won't engage then the work is kinda meh, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A small paycheck would be a major disaster now as my husband works in sales and he isn't making much at all. Last year our home was in foreclosure due to a mistake on the part of our mortgage company. They had our money, but "lost" it. I refuse to get behind because they manage to screw up even when the funds are there. Just imagine what would happen if we did fall behind.

    I live off of caffeine now. :) I did finally force myself to do it, but struggled to write anything even halfway decent. Thankfully the egg I was writing for doesn't put my name on what I produce. I would hate for anyone to know I wrote those articles.

    Daily goals are great and I think that is part of my problem. The work just hasn't been there and this scares me. This isn't just one egg either, but the three I regularly do. I can't recall it ever being this slow before.

    Exercise does help. I finally sat down and did three small projects tonight. Then my husband challenged me to a game of bowling on the Wii. We ended up playing two games and then a game of baseball. I'm back to work now and that has helped.

    Thanks everyone for the advice and support. It's nice to know others go through this also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The motivation must be strong and constant. I've always been motivated by my success. When I see progress, I'm doing better.
    theresumebuilder.com Review

    ReplyDelete